Tuesday 24 January 2012

Who is fit to referee?


I don't even know where to start when it comes to referees in football. As an Oxford United fan, I understand that our referee's won't be world class but some of the people left in charge of matches at this level couldn't referee an under 13's match never mind a football league game. If Howard Webb refereed the world cup final that would lead you to believe he was the best referee in the world, yet by my watch, he's one of the most inconsistent referee's in the Premiership, and that's saying something. And the problem doesn't end there. I understand that it's hard to make a decision based on one view at real speed as opposed to a slow-motion replay but referees, linesmen and the official behind the goals(though to me they are a waste of space anyway) make far too many mistakes, and it's damaging the game itself.
I'll start with the offside rule. Who understands the entire offside rule now? I might be young, but I know that the rule's changed enough in my lifetime as it is. How do you class a player as active? Are you playing someone onside if you're off the field of play? You tell me. This might be a problem with the rules more than the officials but I still feel it's got to be sorted out. And soon.
Officials are swayed by the reactions of fans too easily. My hat was off to Sian Massey when she ruled out the Liverpool goal against Swansea for the tightest offside decision possible despite being screamed at by 40,000 angry Liverpudlians. But other tight decisions, or sometimes even blatantly obvious decisions are being affected by referees and linesmen not having the bottle to make the call. 
Biased is always going to be a factor in officiating the game, but sometimes it's just too severe to not be deliberate. A few weeks ago I saw what I think must be one of the worst refereeing display I've ever seen by Johnathon Moss, a supposed Premier League referee, refereeing Oxford playing against Cheltenham. You might think I'm only saying this because I'm an Oxford fan, but he made poor decision after poor decision, all in favour of Cheltenham. In the first half of the game there was a tackle on Oxford striker Robbie Hall, that could have been a career ending challenge. It was high, studs up, and he left the ground and Moss didn't even give a free kick. Obviously you never like to have to blame the ref but sometimes it's the only choice. These sort of tackles were being thrown around by the Cheltenham team, but as soon as Liam Davis made a tackle similar to that he was sent straight off without a second thought. If Johnathon Moss is a Premier League standard referee then so am I. Referees biased ruins matches, and can seriously damage a team's season.
Technology has GOT to be brought in. Frank Lampard in the World Cup, Geoff Hurst in '66, Henry's handball. All of them could have been avoided if we used technology. Again I understand this isn't down to the referee but human error is ruining matches. Going back to the Oxford match, a decision not to even award a free kick one way and then to send someone off on the other team really killed off the match, and this was a top of the table clash, potentially a promotion clash and thousands of pounds lost for Oxford. Oh and how could I have forgotten Graham Poll's three yellow cards. That's just embarrassing for refereeing in general. 
Overall refereeing has got to be changed. The way they're taught to referee has to change. Technology has to be brought into the game to help the ref's. Something's got to be changed to make the game more about the players than the officials. 

1 comment:

  1. Good afternoon!

    I hope you don't mind me contacting you directly but I've been working with a company called Clear Debt to compile an interactive infographic all about football debt in comparison to performance and I thought you'd be very interested in getting in on this.

    With this innovative infographic, that can also be accessed through a smartphone or tablet, you are able to compare your wage against a top Premier League player as well as how long it would take for you to earn their weekly salary!

    After having a read of your website, we were wondering if this would be something you'd be interested in posting about on your social channels? I have a press release to accompany it but you are, of course, more than welcome to write anything of your own should you wish to meet your personal styleguide.

    The graphic can be found here: http://debt.co.uk/football/

    This interactive infographic is great fun and something all football fans can get involved with, so I do hope it's something you'll be interested in sharing!

    I look forward to hearing from you.

    Kind regards,

    Kathryn Thompson
    (contact me via kathryn.thompson35@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete